The Orange Public Library is a magnificent building built in the Beaux-Art and Classical Revival styles complete with Ionic and Doric columns, and richly ornamented architectural details. Mckim, Mead and White designed the original library building in 1900. It was recorded as a National Historic Landmark in 1981. Orange has a rich library tradition dating back to 1883. From the Library's beginning, it was an association library, supported by dues, endowments and donations. In 1945, the citizens of Orange voted by referendum to financially support a "free public library", and took over the operation of the building as a publicly owned and municipally operated facility. Our library today has a collection of over 150,000 holdings and has been serving the residents of Orange for over 120 years. The Orange Public Library, respectful of its heritage and the beautiful structure provided it in 1901, has continued to grow and to adapt itself to changing times. Its staff, Boards of Trustees, and especially its patrons, eagerly anticipate its second century of service to the City of Orange.
Public NoticeThe next Orange Public Library Board of Trustee Meeting is scheduled for January 2019.
It will be held In the Auditorium of the Library Please use the South Essex Street entrance.